Monday, December 24, 2007

Results 12/-17-12/23

I found a bit of a leak in my game that has been costing me a lot of money. It was always exploited but it was even moreso this week to the point where I really put some thought into it and I think I've found a solution.

I am definitely losing money on KK and am only a slight winner with AA. The problem is that I build these big pots pre and then bet the flop to protect, allowing my opponents to take the pot away from me on later streets, as I am usually not going to go AI on just an overpair if someone pushes on the turn/river for a bigger-than-pot bet.

To counteract, I am going to start checking the turn. This will allow my opponents to catch up once in a while, but I think it will be a nice play because it will induce bluff money on the river or increase my chances of having a decent-sized value bet called on the river. It's a strategy I use with hands like AQ when I flop top pair; bet flop, check turn, bet river. It looks very weak and I feel like it maximizes value on strong but not monster pots while still keeping some pot control.

I had a terrible week this week; part of it was running bad, but I also got bluffed out of about $500 in $2/5 with AA and KK when people check-raised or pushed on the turn on my continuation bets all in for gross amounts. It is really tough to call with AA on a nondescript board when someone raises your $100 bet by $500. Anyway, it is a good time to take a break, enjoy the holidays, and get my head back in shape. One bad thing about playing every day is you have very little time to reflect on hands and tune up your game.

This Week:
Earnings: -$325
Hours: 31
Hourly: -$10.48

Yearly:
YTD Earnings: $7619
YTD Hours: 322.5
YTD Hourly: $23.62

2 comments:

joe said...

i always had the same problem with my big pocket pairs also, that's why i play mid stack. have you heard about SPRs? if not, you probably know about it anyway b/c you talked about not calling with overpairs if someone pushed the turn.

SPR = stack to pot ratios. pocket pairs and top pair need low SPRs of around 4-6 (fluctuate that to the opponent). on the flop your stack should be about 4-6 times greater than the pot to play with great confidence. when you play with half a buy in at midstack, it's very easy to manipulate the pot to give you a good SPR, but when you're deeper it's very difficult. that's why a lot of players limp and hope to reraise with their AA in order to make a good SPR for their pocket AA when their deep.

joe said...

1 more thing. i'm interested in knowing how large you do build these pots preflop.

can you give an example?

if you get your SPRs big enough preflop then you are supposed to protect it, no matter what.