Monday, December 3, 2007

Watching for Mistakes

When I sit down at a no limit table, the amount of mistakes I see is oftentimes staggering. It is 100% true that poker is situational and there are many different ways to play a hand correctly, however on the flip side, there are also many ways that are totally incorrect and have no justifiable explanation. These plays will lose you money pretty much every time you do them (-EV) - Joe Sebok and Barry Greenstein refer to them as "zero plays" because they will work 0% of the time.

Most of the mistakes that people make too are so simple to correct - I want to just shake them by the shoulders sometimes and tell them, "What are you thinking? If you just do it this way, you'll make so much more. Here's why!"

If you are a losing player at these levels, it is not variance - low limit games are definitely beatable, and complaining about getting sucked out on, running bad, etc. is simply not a viable excuse. Right now, I am showing a profit in 74% of my sessions, which is ridiculously high. Most pros show a profit in maybe 60% of sessions tops.

When I sit down, on average, I can spot the winning and losing players within about an hour. I would say at the average 10-handed table, there might be one other winning player, a couple of players that make mistakes but are probably break-even, and maybe 4-5 players that just have no clue.

If you want to be a winning player, there are so many options available to you. The forums (twoplustwo.com, fullcontactpoker.com, pocketfives.com, neverwinpoker.com) are a great way to get advice. Emailing people works too. If you have any questions, especially about how you played a hand, you can email me as well: fulltiltazncutie@gmail.com

No comments: