Monday, December 10, 2007

An interesting hand

I hate posting hand histories, I think they're boring but I'll make an exception. Yesterday, I was playing in the $1/2, and I played this hand that had a lot of forethought into it.

I had j-8 in the big blind and the flop came a dream for me, one of the best possible for my hand, 6-7-9 rainbow, giving me an open-ended straight draw (OESD) to the nuts. My opponent was deep stacked and first to act. He took the lead, betting about 1/2 pot on the flop/turn. The river came a beautiful 10 and with no flushes, I held the stone cold nuts. He bet and I insta-raised AI, grossly overbetting the pot. Pot had maybe like $150 and I pushed $300 more. This is kind of a weird play, but this is where hold'em really becomes an art and why I prefer live to online play sooooooooo much.

I was Hollywooding this whole hand, making it very obvious that i was pretending to think about every call even though it was a clear call for me, basically telling this dude that I was on the open-ender.

How am I doing this?

I was holding the chips necessary for the call in my hand as soon as he made the bets and just staring as hard as I could right at his face, then after I took a few seconds to call, I grabbed a huge stack of chips in my hand before he bet the next street. These are all extremely obvious tells of weakness, which I am aware of and I am praying to god he is aware of too (I've played w/ him before and he is a player that at least understands the basics of the game).

Why am I doing this?

I know this guy will bet the open-ended straight in this fashion and I also know he knows I am capable of making a move. I am hoping he holds an 8 in his hand, giving him the 6-7-8-9 OESD. If that ten comes competing the straight, I want to stack him and make him think we are chopping and I'm just trying to steal at the end, even though I would hold the 7-8-9-10-J to his 6-7-8-9-10. The overbet AI is exactly what this looks like when the 10 falls. Unfortunately, he didn't have the open ended draw I put him on and he folded a set of 9's face up to my rather ridiculous raise, screaming at how I was such a fish for the next 5 minutes. I took it in stride, but eventually had to call the floor when he made bodily threats at me.

Even though I lost money by not making a normal-sized raise here that he would have called with his set of 9's, I definitely make lots of money with this play in the long run.

My thought process for this hand was pretty intricate too. When I saw the j-8 preflop, I was thinking, what is the best flop that can come down for me and what are dangerous flops that I need to use pot control on. I don't want the flop that will give me the nuts, like jjj or something. I want the flop that will make the most money for me by hitting other players too. This is what I thought:

Good Flops:
j-8-x
6-7-9
8-8-x
a-k-10
a-q-10


Note: against bad players (which all $1/2 and about half of $2/5 players are), the bottom two of these will make you soooooo much money in the long run, especially in deep-stack games where you can peel a card off against someone who can't get away from two pair.

Dangerous flops where I could go broke and need to play cautiously:
j-j-x
j-8-9/10/q/k/a

It gets very easy to get away from these types of flops/know when you're good when you get some experience under your belt. You will never be a good live player unless you can fold a big hand.

I included this HH for beginner players just to show you the type of thought analysis that should go into your hands. Hope you find this interesting.

1 comment:

Internet Friend said...

i like making that move too. it also sometimes works when a straight appears on the board, and you have it to the next card.

if you overbet huge, sometimes people call cuz they think they are gonna split the pot (they also dont want to get shown up if the better only plays the board) - it's amazing to see how much people are willing to risk just to split the pot, no matter how big the bet is compared to the pot. this has worked well for me in tourneys too.