Friday, October 17, 2008

props and profiling

I was playing in a game yesterday with 4 Scandinavian players that are all 5/10 6max regs on stars. It was 6 in the morning and our 2/5 was the only nlhe game going, so they all sat down together and proceeded to 3bet almost every pot preflop. The local rocks were petrified stiff and one tried to get all four of them kicked out by asking the floor to check their IDs.

These guys were all very talented online players, but it was really obvious they had very little experience playing live. They were really clumsy with their chips and one had a very obvious physical tell in which he would swallow after about 15 seconds when he bet and was weak. I played in a decent amount of pots with him since I had position on him, and on one noteworthy hand, I flatted his $20 raise in EP with AhJx, called $30 flop bet, called $65 on the turn, and called $150 on the river on a final board of Qh 5h 6x 2h Kx, giving me the nut nonpair. I took about 3 minutes on the end since it was a pretty hero/idiot call, but I was sure he was just 3barrelling with total air and just prayed he didn't accidental valuebet with 22 or something like that.

Afterwards, he told me that I was one of the best postflop players he had seen in his trip to Vegas and one of the absolute worst preflop players, which is probably very accurate on the second count.

As a bleeding heart liberal, I find it kind of fucked up, but I definitely profiled him in making this decision. Whenever I see a scandi, I know that he is going to be ridiculously aggressive and love to gambol. French guys are almost universally terrible and calling stations. Likewise Armenians.

Of course, young Asian guys are crazy tough with huge egos to boot : )

No comments: